Sándor Laki, PhD
I am an assistant professor at Faculty of Informatics, Eötvös Loránd University. My research interests are the general topics of computer networking with special focus on traffic analytics, IP geolocation, application of software defined networking and language abstractions for programmable networking elements.
Recently, my research has shifted towards novel data plane solutions including network programmability and flexibe state-less resource sharing. You can read more about related projects on the project page.
- Sept 2017 - The refreshed list of lab projects for students are available on the Projects tab.
- June 2017 - Our paper on packet labeling-based resource sharing with a cool title "Take your own share of the PIE" has been accepted.
- June 2017 - Our paper on A Profile-Based Fast Port Scan Detection Method has been accepted.
- May 2017 - I was invited to give a presentation on the new trends in the big data world at the annual meeting of NJSZT. Mode details on the site of NJSZT.
- May 2017 - Our demo and poster on T4P4S was presented at P4 Workshop 2017 held at Stanford University. More details on the workshop's site.
- March 2017 - Our P4 compiler has been renamed to T4P4S (pronounced as TAPAS) - Translator for P4 Switch programs. The new release has been published on GitHub: https://github.com/P4ELTE/t4p4s
- Feb 2017 - My project proposal called RECON has been selected for funding in H2020 MONROE OC-2 call. The project starts in March and lasts 12 months.
- Feb 2017 - I was invited to give a keynote speech at the 4th Winter School of PhD Students on Big Data. Gergő from our team is going to bring practical and interactive lectures on tools from small data analysis with Python to large-scale data processing with HADOOP and SPARK.
- Jan 2017 - I took part in a round table discussion on "Big Data: education and scope of application" organized by the French Institute in Budapest: link
- Dec 2016 - Ákos presented our work on the usage of activity trackers in healthcare for patient monitoring at CSCI in Las Vegas, NV, USA.
- Nov 2016 - I got the John Kemeny Award from the John von Neumann Computer Society (NJSZT).
- Nov 2016 - BSc and MSc thesis proposals are available at http://networks.elte.hu/index.php/szakdolgozat-es-diplomamunka-temak/. If you are interested in one of the thesis projects, please do not hesitate to contact me. The submission deadline is 1st of December.
- Nov 2016 - Our paper on how activity trackers can be used in healthcare has been accepted by CSCI'16 conference.
- Oct 2016 - My research is supported by the Excellence Award of the University.
- Sept 2016 - The newly established Data Science and Engineering department has finally opened. The department is unique in Hungary, since it is funded by Deutsche Telekom. I'm really proud of having been involved in the preparation work of this new initiative. Besides TU Berlin, Deutsche Telekom and Magyar Telekom our team was also presenting two demos during the opening ceremony. I thank Akos and Gergo for their hard work to make it possible. A video spot about the event, our demo and "the researcher" was shown in the evening news of HírTV: avaialble here.
- Sept 2016 - The next promotion video of our Smart Active project is available on Ericsson's YouTube channel: Smart Active on YouTube
- August 2016 - Our P4 switching demo was presented by Peter at SIGCOMM in Brazil.
- June 2016 - The camera ready version of our SIGCOMM demo paper is available here.
- June 2016 - Our group officially joined the P4 consortium led by Stanford University. We will do our best to be an active partner of this community having 34 industrial and 7 academic members.
- June 2016 - The first promotion video of our Smart Active project is finally out - You can try it out in Gold Center soon.
- June 2016 - Press release on our IoT project called SmartActive is available on one of the largest Hungarian news site.
- May 2016 - As part of ELTE CNL were successfully participating in Ericsson Univeristy Day 2016 - 1 plenary talk, 2 technical talks, 6 posters and 2 demos.
- May 2016 - I presented our work on "High-Speed Forwarding: A P4 Compiler with a Hardware Abstraction Library for Intel DPDK" at the 3rd P4 Workshop hosted by Stanford University, CA, USA.
- Apr. 2016 - My talk submitted to the 3rd P4 Workshop has been accepted. This is the first step towards increasing the visibility of our work on abstract data planes.
- Apr. 2016 - A new project on state-less resource sharing in IP core networks was launched. I really thank the support of Ericsson.
- Feb. 2016 - Together with Gergő Gombos, we launched two new courses on Big Data technologies and analytics. Our definite aim is to support the increasing needs of our industrial partners as well as our running projects on telecom data analysis.
- Jan. 2016 - Happy new year! My son was born, so I am out of office for a while... :)
- Dec. 2015 - We successfully organized the 1st IoT Pizza at our university - supported by EIT Digital and its FIWARE Liaison project.
- Nov. 2015 - I was presenting our group at the UNIFI (Universities for Future Internet) workshop and consortium meeting hosted by Fraunhofer FOKUS in Berlin, Germany. The video pitch of this initiative can be seen here: UNIFI video
- July 2015 - Our paper on the results of NOVI project is finally out in the latest issue of IEEE Communications Magazine, avalaible here.
- May 2015 - We started a new project on programmable data planes. Thanks Ericsson for the support!
- May 2015 - I gave a plenary talk on "Future Internet and Big Data research" at the Neumann Day of our faculty.
- Mar. 2015 - I took part in the selection committee meeting of Erasmus Mundus TEAM project in Tokyo, Japan.
- Jan. 2015 - Our paper about the NOVI information model is finally available in print: avalaible in the latest FGCS journal.
- Jan. 2015 - Happy new year!
I thank the following sponsors for supporting my research:
Disclaimer: Any opinions, findings and conclusions or recommendations expressed in research outputs (published papers, talks, blog postings etc.) are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the sponsors.